Asking Questions & Filing Complaints
If you have a question about your insurance - how it works, what something means or just want to have a better understanding - contact our Consumer Services Team.
303-894-7490 / 800-930-3745 (outside the Denver Metro area) / DORA_Insurance@state.co.us
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Complaints are filed through the Consumer Portal, where you will first need to create an account using an email account and password. The portal is a secure way for consumers to submit insurance complaints and communicate with the Division of Insurance. Once the account is created, you will use the email and password to log into the Consumer Portal.
- After logging in to the Portal, you can submit your insurance complaint.
- There are several pages to complete. Know that the Division needs this information to properly investigate your complaint.
- After your complaint is successfully submitted, a "Complaint ID" will be provided and an email will be sent to you with additional information.
- You will then be given an opportunity to upload supporting documents to the Portal.
- From then on, you will have the ability to communicate directly with the Division about your complaint through the Portal.
Anytime there is any activity on your complaint that requires your attention, you will be sent an email. You must log into the portal with your email and password to access information about your complaint, including updates and the Division's responses to your complaint.
PLEASE NOTE: The Portal does not automatically save the information you enter. If you do not click the "submit" button after entering your complaint, the information will be lost after two (2) hours of inactivity on your account.
You can also download and print a Complaint Form / Request for Assistance that can be mailed to the Division.
Downloadable Complaint Form / Formulario de queja descargable
The Division Licenses and Regulates:
- Insurance Companies selling policies in Colorado (including auto, auto, health, homeowners, life, renters, small business, title and travel)
- Insurance Agents (also called Producers) and Agencies
- Bail Bond industry and Bail Bonding Agents
- Public Adjusters
- Preneed Funeral Contract Sellers
- Find more information at our "Insurance Products" page.