COLORADO'S FIRST-IN-THE-NATION INNOVATION WAIVER IS APPROVED. On June 23, 2022 the Department of Health & Human Services and the Department of the Treasury approved Colorado's Section 1332 State Innovation waiver amendment application. Read the approval letter and fact sheet.
GOVERNOR POLIS ANNOUNCES ADVISORY BOARD APPOINTMENTS. On June 22, 2022 Governor Polis announced appointments to the Colorado Option Advisory Board effective July 1, 2022, for terms expiring at the pleasure of the Governor.
Saving People Money
Starting in 2023, the Colorado Option will be available to all Coloradans who buy their health insurance on the individual market (i.e. not from an employer) and small employers with less than 100 employees. Health insurance plans are required to lower premiums on Colorado Option plans for individuals, families, and small businesses by 15% by 2025.
Wednesday, August 24, 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM - Colorado Option Advisory Board Meeting
Wednesday, September 21, 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM - Standard Plan Stakeholder Meeting
Wednesday, September 28, 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM - Public Hearings: Provider Rate Setting Meeting #2
Improving access, affordability and equity
As part of the Colorado Option, the Division has designed a Standardized Plan which allows consumers and businesses to easily compare plans and choose the plan that is right for them. These plans cover all essential health benefits required by the Affordable Care Act (ACA), provides free ($0) primary care and mental health visits, and is designed to reduce racial health disparities and improve health equity.
Click on the image to the left to learn more about these new plan options.
Colorado Option Standardized Plans are required to lower health insurance premiums for individuals, families, and small businesses by 15% by 2025. Due to the entrance of Standardized Plans in the market, the Division was able to submit a federal Section 1332 waiver. The waiver documents how the Division is able to control health care costs and support coverage by reducing health insurance premiums. Funds from the waiver will be used to support state-based subsidies for health insurance affordability and access designed by Colorado's Health Insurance Affordability Enterprise.
- Letter of Intent to Apply for Waiver Amendment and CMS Response
- Public Meeting Materials on Waiver Amendment Submission
- Public Comments received on Draft Application by Nov 22, 2021
- Final Application submitted Nov 30, 2021
- Letter of preliminary determination that Colorado application is complete (January 3, 2022)
- Letter of approval for Colorado's 1332 Waiver Amendment (June 23, 2022)
To ensure the work of the Colorado Option is transparent and informed by a variety of stakeholders, HB21-1232 requires the Governor to appoint members of the Colorado Option Advisory Board. The Advisory Board will consist of up to 11 members with varied experience in health care.
Standardized Plan Regulation (4-2-81)
- Colorado Option Rate Target Methodology
- Individual Market - Maximum CO Option Premium Targets: Existing Carriers / New Entrants
- Small Group Market - Maximum CO Option Premium Targets: Existing Carriers / New Entrants
- Standardized Health Benefit Plan Colorado Option, House Bill 21-1232 - signed into law June 16, 2021
- Standardized Plan stakeholder meeting announcement
- Standardized Plan stakeholder meeting materials
- Culturally Responsive Provider Network stakeholder meeting materials
- Draft Report for Colorado's State Coverage Option - released October 7, 2019
- Draft Report for Colorado's State Coverage Option - En Español
Stakeholder Engagement Meetings on Draft Proposal
- State Option Draft Report Stakeholder Presentation - English
- State Option Draft Report Stakeholder Presentation - En Español
- November 7, 2019 - Edwards
- October 23, 2019 - Grand Junction
- October 22, 2019 - Hugo
- October 12, 2019 - Durango
- October 8, 2019 - Denver, Watch the webcast recorded presentation
- October 8, 2019 - Pueblo
- October 8, 2019 - Briefing for Eastern Plains Hospitals
- Final Report for Colorado's Public Option (includes appendices I - IV) - delivered to the General Assembly November 15, 2019
- Appendix V - Public Comments
- Summary of Final Report
Information can also be referenced on Colorado's Department for Healthcare Policy and Financing: https://hcpf.colorado.gov/proposal-affordable-health-coverage-option