HB21-1307 & Emergency and 12-Month Insulin Supply
The Insulin Affordability Program was created by HB21-1307 (Prescription Insulin Pricing and Access). Beginning January 1, 2022, eligible individuals can receive a 12-month prescription for insulin for no more than a $50 copay for a 30-day supply and an emergency 30-day supply of insulin once per 12-month period for no more than a $35 copay. The law directs the Division to create an application for the program.
The program will go into effect January 1, 2022.
Insulin Affordability Program for Emergency and 12-Month Insulin Supply Application
Who qualifies for the Insulin Affordability Program?
To be eligible for this program you must:
- Be a resident of Colorado
- Have a current prescription for insulin
- Pay more than $100 for a 30-day supply for your insulin
- Present identification proving Colorado residency including, but not limited to, a valid Colorado identification card, driver's license or permit, or tribal-issued identification. If you are a minor under the age of 18, your parent or legal guardian must provide proof of residency.
Emergency 30-Day Supply of Insulin -- If you are seeking an emergency 30-day supply of insulin, you must:
- Have an emergency need for insulin
- Have less than a 7-day supply of insulin available
If you qualify for an emergency supply of insulin, you may pay a $35 co-pay to receive a 30-day supply. You can only access an emergency supply of insulin once in a 12-month period.
12-Month Supply of Insulin -- If you are seeking an affordable 12-month supply of insulin:
- You cannot be enrolled in or eligible for Colorado Medicaid (also known as Health First Colorado)
- You cannot be enrolled in or eligible for Medicare
If you qualify for a 12-month supply of insulin, you may pay a $50 co-pay for each 30-day supply.
You may qualify for a manufacturer's patient assistance program.
Information on manufacturer's patient assistance programs:
- Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Diabetes Solution Center
- Novo Nordisk, Patient Assistance Program
- Sanofi, Patient Assistance Connection
- MannKind Corporation, Co-Pay Program, Direct Purchase Program
Information on manufacturers coupon programs:
- Eli Lilly, Discounts for diabetes medicines
- Novo Nordisk, NovoLog Savings Card
- Sanofi, Diabetes Savings Program