HB21-1307 & Emergency and 12-Month Insulin Supply
The Insulin Affordability Program was created by HB21-1307 (Prescription Insulin Pricing and Access). Beginning January 1, 2022, eligible individuals can receive a 12-month prescription for insulin for no more than a $50 copay for a 30-day supply and an emergency 30-day supply of insulin once per 12-month period for no more than a $35 copay. The law directs the Division to create an application for the program.
The program will go into effect January 1, 2022.
Who qualifies for the Insulin Affordability Program?
To be eligible for this program you must:
- Be a resident of Colorado
- Have a current prescription for insulin
- Pay more than $100 for a 30-day supply for your insulin
- Present identification proving Colorado residency including, but not limited to, a valid Colorado identification card, driver's license or permit, or tribal-issued identification. If you are a minor under the age of 18, your parent or legal guardian must provide proof of residency.
Emergency 30-Day Supply of Insulin -- If you are seeking an emergency 30-day supply of insulin, you must:
- Have an emergency need for insulin
- Have less than a 7-day supply of insulin available
If you qualify for an emergency supply of insulin, you may pay a $35 co-pay to receive a 30-day supply. You can only access an emergency supply of insulin once in a 12-month period.
12-Month Supply of Insulin -- If you are seeking an affordable 12-month supply of insulin:
- You cannot be enrolled in or eligible for Colorado Medicaid (also known as Health First Colorado)
- You cannot be enrolled in or eligible for Medicare
If you qualify for a 12-month supply of insulin, you may pay a $50 co-pay for each 30-day supply.
You may qualify for a manufacturer's patient assistance program.
Information on manufacturer's patient assistance programs:
- Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Diabetes Solution Center
- Novo Nordisk, Patient Assistance Program
- Sanofi, Patient Assistance Connection
- MannKind Corporation, Co-Pay Program, Direct Purchase Program
Information on manufacturers coupon programs: